Sunday, February 05, 2006

Event Management

As bhatti demanded more technology news on the website, here it goes.

From past few weeks I was in lookout for a service/software that lets me manage the upcoming events in my life. Be it birthdays, talks, seminars or just personal reminders. Diwaker had long back suggesgted me Yahoo calenders, but that was too complex for simple events. I wanted something that lets me add an even in less that 3 clicks and minimal typing. Well I did not find the exact match that I wanted but landed upon CalenderHub. Its closest to minimal input calender I want. Based on Web 2.0 technologies, the interface in realistically simple (well it takes 5-10 mins to get familiar with most of its operations). Some pro and cons.

Pros:
1. Its online - so you can view your calender, add/delete events from anywhere.
2. It has a small widget tool that you can download and get reminders on your desktop. Good as then you dont even have to log in to their service to see whats all is stored in for you today.
3. Reminders in your email.
4. Facility to publish your calender to a webpage and get RSS feeds from it.
5. You can creat group/public calenders. I cant remember how many times I have filled that birthday reminder/alarms type of information. By group calenders on can creat say a Family calender/ School calender, in which everyone can add and view birthdays. So one needs to enter his birthdate just once for the complete group.
6. It also has import and export facilities.
7. As the trend is, you can add tags to your events.
8. The facility to add weblinks to your events - this might be useful for linking your event to a webpage if it has one.

Cons:
1. As was the problem with yahoo, here too to add a recurring all day events such as birthdays, with reminder emails, one still has to click on three tabs and few drop downs to add it. But if the group thing works this will be just for one birthday.
2. The desktop widget still does not has the facility to set such events. Its good for one time events.

Anyways, I have missed quite a few talks due to lack of reminders, hope I get addicted to this and it makes my life more organized.

Philosophy: I wonder if its good to get attached to such things - what if someday they cease to exist.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Saurabh Nanda said...

Can it send SMS reminders? THAT would rock!

If not, then my new Nokia 2112, with enhanced calendar management capabilities is the way to go. Mobile Calendar Management 24x7, anywhere you go!

About the philosophy: That's what will eventually happen once the VC money dries up and miniscule advertising revenue is no good!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Nikhil said...

yes it can!! but the service provider it covers are mosty american or european.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Ankush said...

Hmm...good that you have stopped inflicating pain on the world with your non-tech posts ;)

Lets try this thing out and see...looks good to me. Although adding an event is little pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home