Sunday, June 25, 2006

Surprise Dreaming

I got up yesterday with a tingy feeling. I had faint recollection of my dream and what went through the dream surprised me, I asked myself a question. Is it possible that we get surprised while we are dreaming (not day dreaming)?

I believe we have a conscious and a subconscious (may be a super-conscious). When we are sleeping our conscious is sleeping, it is out subconscious that is active. The emotion of surprise involves two entities, the 'event' which creates surprise and entity which 'experiences' it. These two have to be decoupled from each other and incaypable of sharing information. The question then boils down to is - Is subconscious that creates the events or the one that experiences it when we are dreaming while sleeping? Or is it doing both? I rule of the possibility of doing both, by the same reasoning that it is not possible for our conscious to create an event and itself be surprised by the experience of the event. So the subconscious has to be the 'event' creator or the 'experiencer'. And if its either of one what is the other level of cognition that perform the other task?

:-?

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Beaman said...

I would surmise that the conscious mind is the part that is surprised. The period when the brain is shifting from sleep to awakeness.

Difficult and interesting thought.

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems like lately you have been reading too much of psychology :P

I think what you think should be thought about :D

yeah i think the same as beaman....subconcious prepares the event and the concious experiences it..

cheers!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Nikhil said...

i have not been reading but for the first time getting confidance to write. I see the question more from a philosophical point of view. I agree that it has to be the conscious mind in my case as I was also to remember the event, but the question still remains, can we be surprised in our dreams...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home