Saturday, November 26, 2005

Living The American Dream - The American Way

I am nearing the completion of three months in America (well technically its still 12 more days to go but...). I started to write blogs with the initial motive of sharing my American Experiences with the people I love and viceversa. But it seems that lately this became more of a Technology-Information Blog than Nikhil-Experiences-Infomation blog. Not that I have not had experiences here but somehow they were either not worth a blog or the lazier half of me took control, but after the last few days I am determined to write about some personal experiences.

24-25th Nov (or more generally the Thursday and Friday of the third week of November) are Thanksgiving festival days in America. Traditionally on Thursdays the whole family eats dinner together(or is it lunch?) and on Fridays its Day-of-Shopping. I had no plans to celebrate it - eating with family is a commonday activity in India (Alas! I have not been doing it for the past 4 hostel years) and a day just for shopping cant be labbeled as Festival in India, however in America its different and justified - but I ended up celebrating probably more than it demanded :-)

Well I just realise that given the amount of time I have *Wasted* in the past three days and going to tommorrow I really dont have the right to make this a detailed experiences blog, but just wont give up without writing a synopsis.

1. Wed Night
Movie - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with Nikhil K. and Mayank Kaabra. It was a good entertaning movie in absolute sense but the other episodes were much better than this one.

2. Thursday Night
Thanksgiving party at Antoni's Place with Doug and his wife Megan, Luke, Dashan and his wife, and two more people whos name I failed to capture there (I really apologize for this and request if ever any of you read this blog please help me update the names). This party is what actually made me feel that I am also celebrating Thanksgiving the American Way. After a sumptuous dinner - yes Doug and his wife were Vegetarian too so there was Vegetarian stuff too - we played few games that was a kind of Charades but had three stages to it. I must say it was one of the best night in America. Here only I came to know that friday is the Day-of-Shopping so..

3. Friday Morning: Day-of-Shopping with Diwaker, Nitin and Diba. Again this was one of the best outings - one...first time I did shopping without any list and ultimately landed up spending aroung 10k in INR in Walmart and Fry's. , two...the group was fun, three...we had nice Indian Lunch and four...got 20 packets of ParleG :-). Bought a Tripod, Camera bag, Cycling Helmet, Small-sweet knife a jacket and some other trinkets.

4. Friday Night: Movie 'Rog' at Nitin's place with Nikhil K, Bhavjit and Kundu. Irfaan Khan being the actor - Nitin's favorite guy, and to an extent mine too - the movie was tolerated. Well the second and third reason to justify the moive can be Uddam Singh for his style and Ilene Hamman for her .... (yes I did a google search to find her name)

5. and there more to come tomorrow - Sun: bike trip with hopefully Panju, Nitin, Nikhil K, Sachin, Jyoti et al. Will write a seperate blog on this.

Phew! I must be get going, else the fun I had this week with be mapped by an inverse polynomial function the next week.

1 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger shivesh ranjan said...

cool!! looks like you are transforming into a total laundiya... shopped for friggin 10 grands in one day.. some shopping spree that is dude... hee hee..
so the cycling trip.. how was it?.. waiting for complete description..
yahan apun abhi cycling trip karte rehte hain.. only diff is that the cycle is equipped with a motor;).. abhi is weekend mangalore gaye.. 420 km one way.. so that was 840 km covered in 2 days (sat and sun).. me bhai and a guy called som.. 3 bikes and no pillions.. had a great time :)..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home